Thursday, June 29, 2006

What's for Supper? (06-29-06)

I bought two new toys for the patio this week, and I used one of them tonight. It's a Weber 751001 22 1/2-Inch One-Touch Gold
charcoal grill. The picture to the right (click-able for a larger picture) is after I completed putting it together, which I made a tad challenging because I stepped on one of the legs and bent the end out of round -- and round being somewhat necessary to slip into the round short tube welded to the bowl of the grill. But a bit of careful adjustable-pliers-work and all was well. It is very simple to assemble, assuming you avoid stepping on the leg.

And, having just got it assembled, we had to (of course) cook up something. SWMBO, in anticipation of the event, had put some nice, boneless chops in to marinate at lunch. The marinade consisted of water, orange juice, honey, onion salt, garlic salt, and fresh ground black pepper (a quick concoction I dictated via telephone). They were in the marinade for about four hours. First seared (though it wasn't hot enough - more coals next time) and then cooked on indirect heat with Jack Daniels No. 7 wood chips for smoke, plus a foil pouch of potatoes, green beans, and a few cherry tomatoes (the tomatoes being from our garden).
Fantastic! The picture at the left contains neither smell-a-vision nor taste-a-vision, so you can't appreciate what you are seeing but trust me, it was great! For an even better, more mouth-watering view, click the image for a larger version. Note the black "dusting" on the plate is paprika; an artistic touch I should have left out. I haven't had meat this tasty since I started using a gas grill several years ago; wish I'd switched back earlier.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home