Thursday, March 02, 2006

Books of February

During February I only read four books (listed, in order, below). I got hung up on Winning, and just couldn't seem to go anywhere. I wasn't really in the mood for that particular type of book so would only read three or four pages prior to putting it down. I probably spent over two weeks on it, reading small doses at a time. The four books I read in February were:

  • Disappearing Nightly by Laura Resnick
  • Cell by Stephen King
  • Winning by Jack Welch
  • Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder
Disappearing Nightly by Laura Resnick was a barely-okay book -- which is pretty sad, as it started out to be a better-than-okay book. Shortly into it, though, Resnick took a turn toward the ridiculous and kept going in that direction. The story lost a lot of what it could have been, and given the possibilities exhibited in the first chapter or two that was really disappointing.

Cell by Stephen King wasn't bad, but nothing great - in my mind, easily in the lower half of King's work. A neat premises, a decent idea, but somewhat disjointed and meandering without much purpose. As always, though, King's characters keep me interested.

Winning by Jack Welch was a decent book, but nowhere as interesting as Straight from the Gut and, as mentioned, I got bogged pretty badly on this one. Aimed far above my meager level of the corporate ladder, his ideas may have been in place for the upper echelons of GE but didn't trickle down to the lower rungs very well. Some good points could be dug out, though, so might be worth adding to your list.

Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder was by far the best of the February books and a nice opening to a new series of novels. A complete and interesting story in and of itself, I'm now looking forward to the publication of Magic Study due out in October. Based on what I see on her website, this is Snyder's first book - I know because I went hunting for anything else she might have written. I hate waiting for the next, then the next, etc. I usually wait until the series is finished, then buy them all. I didn't realize this one would be a series until I was nearing the end of this novel. I could tell the subplot would probably wrap up, but there was much more to the story than could be finished in the remaining pages. I was right, and it mentioned the next one. Ah, well.

Currently reading Thud by Terry Pratchett, one of the Discworld books.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home